So, what is My Kind Of Gospel?

An exploration of uptempo gospel music : 1945-1965

Thursday, August 23, 2012




Click above song title to listen/download

I took a look back at the various records I have posted and noticed a glaring omission. I had yet to post any country gospel 78's! What have I been thinking? So, here you go. This bit of sacred singing with string band features the Virginia Trio on the Kentucky Records label from 1953. The Virginia Trio is actually Jim and Jesse McReynolds of significant bluegrass fame.  

I do not like to re-write what others have come up with, so here is a link to the story behind this record and why Jim and Jesse decided to use the name Virginia Trio. Be sure to spend some time with that page as it is full of great information.

Needless to say, Jim and Jesse McReynolds would go on to great fame and success in the field of bluegrass. This record is among their earliest and is a fine example of bluegrass gospel singing and mandolin picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment